Step 4: LED Ring
The LED ring is the next component in the ‘chain’.
These connections are tricky to solder because the pads have no holes.
Instead, we’ll have to use the helping hand tool to hold each wire in the right place.
- Place the LED ring face-down on the table surface.
- Place the 5 cm (short) white wire in the helping hand jaws,
- Turn the jaws so that the wire is coming from the inside of the ring,
- and that one wire end is resting on the DI pad, even when you let go.
(Like this but with the white wire)
- Solder the short white wire to the pad.
If the wire jumps around, adjust the helping hand and try again.
- Repeat these for the end of the red wire
and the next joint of the black wire. (not the black wire’s end!)
- Visually inspect the soldering.
Does each wire stay inside its own pad?
Does the solder make a solid connection with the pad?
It should look something like this:
One component left…